These links are presented for informational purposes only and as a service to visitors to the CARDINAL LIFECARE web site.
Consumer Safety Resources
- Health Hazards
- Consumer Safety Guide
Spinal Cord Injury Treatment
- Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center
- Unite 2 Fight Paralysis
- Family Voices
- The American Trauma Society
- Spinal Cord Injury Information Network
- Restoring Hope: Preparing for Rehabilitation After Spinal Cord Injury,
- Spinal Cord Injury News
- How to Choose a Treatment Center
Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment
- American Brain Tumor Association
- American Heart Association
- American Stroke Association
- Brain Injury Association of America
- BIA of California
- BIA of Colorado
- BIA of North Carolina
- BIA of Utah
- BIA of Georgia
- Brain Injury News and Information Blogs
- Brain Injury Resource Center
- CARF Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- CCM Center for Case Management
- CDC Centers for Disease Control
- CMSA Case Management Society of America.
- Journey Toward Recovery: A Brain Injury Guide for Families
- Lash and Associates Publishing/Training Inc.
- Mosby Year Book
- NASHIA National Association of State Head Injury Administrators.
- National Aphasia Association
- National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome
- National Headache Foundation
- National Resource Center for TBI
- Operation Freedom Paws
- TBI Chat Rooms
- Traumatic Brain Injury Facts and Information
- Traumatic Brain Injury Factsheets
- Traumatic Brain Injury Survival Guide
- Understanding Brain Injury: A Guide for the Family
- United States Brain Injury Alliance
- Vestibular Disorders Association
- Brain Trauma Foundation
- Family Caregiver Alliance®/National Center on Caregiving:
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- National Rehabilitation Information Center
- Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center
- National Institute on Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- 2019 GUIDE TO ALZHEIMER’S AND DEMENTIA – What you need to know and what new research says.
- The Acquired Brain Injury Network of Pennsylvania
- Brain Injury Association of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Special Education ConsultLine:
- Pennsylvania Department of Health Brain Injury Help Line:
- Pennsylvania Insurance Department
Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania:
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Center for Assistive Technology
- Wheelchair seating evaluations
- Driving training and evaluations
- Modification recommendations for the car and home
- Assistive technology suggestions for home or work
- UPMC Centers for Rehab Services
- Outpatient rehabilitation services through UPMC
- More than 70 locations throughout western Pennsylvania
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Western Pennsylvania
- Dollar Energy Fund
- Life’s Work of Western Pennsylvania
- United Way of Allegheny County
- Achilles Track Club Achilles is a worldwide organization, with the mission of enabling people with all types of disabilities to participate in mainstream athletics
- Amputee Empowerment Partners (AEP) is safe, free online social network, designed so people can connect and discuss a variety of topics related to the life of amputees
- Amputee Coalition of America A national, non-profit amputee consumer educational organization representing people who have experienced amputation or are born with limb differences
- Adaptive Sports Foundation
- The American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists
- The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics (ABC)
- The Amputee Coalition’s Prosthetic Parity Information Page
- The BARR Foundation
- The Center for Orthotics and Prosthetics Learning and Outcomes/Evidence-Based Practice (COPL)
- Board of Certification/Accreditation, International (BOC)
- Challenged Athletes Foundation The Challenged Athletes Foundation assists people with disabilities in pursuing an active lifestyle through physical fitness and competitive athletics
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
- Disabled Sports USA – DS/USA now offers nationwide sports rehabilitation programs to anyone with a permanent physical disability. Activities include winter skiing, water sports, summer and winter competitions, fitness and special sports events
- The International Society of Prosthetists and Orthotists (ISPO)
- Limbs International
- Limbs With Love
- Limbs For Life Foundation – To benefit amputees by promoting advanced research and to provide comfortable and fully functional prosthetic care for individuals who cannot otherwise afford it
- National Amputee Golf Association – A not-for-profit organization that offers physical and mental therapy to amputees through involvement with golf
- National Association for the Advancement of Orthotics & Prosthetics (NAAOP)
- National Commission on O&P Education
- The National Conference of State Legislatures
- O&P PAC (Political Action Committee)
- O & P Athlete Assistance Fund (OPAF) – The Orthotic & Prosthetic Assistance Fund supports year-round fitness and education programs that enable persons with disabilities to enjoy the rewards of physical fitness, social interaction, and personal achievement
- O & P Online – An international resource for prosthetic and orthotic information
- Orthotics and Prosthetic Activities Foundation – http://oandpfund.org
- Reach – Arm Deficient Children – Reach provides information and support for families with children who have hand or arm deficiencies
- Step Global
- The United States Federal Register
- Wounded Warrior Project
- The Veterans Administration – http://va.gov
- Amplitude – http://amplitude.com
- Challenge – https://www.disabledsportsusa.org
- InMotion – http://amputee-coalition.org
- Thrive – http://thrivemag.ca
- O&P Edge – http://opedge.com
- O&P Almanac – http://aopanet.org
- ASHT – http://www.asht.org
- Veterans Affairs & Military Medicine OUTLOOK
- ParaSport – https://www.parasportontario.ca/
- OPC – https://opcanada.ca/
- AAOP – https://www.oandp.org/
- Workers Compensation – https://www.workerscompensation.com/
- Workers’ Compensation Institute – https://www.wci360.com/
Home Modifications/Aging In Place Resources
- Homebuying for people with disabilities
- Home Wheelchair Ramp Project
- Consumer Affairs Stair Lift Resources
- Assistive Technology
- Home Ownership for People with Disabilities
- 2019 GUIDE TO ALZHEIMER’S AND DEMENTIA – What you need to know and what new research says.
- SeatUp Complete Guide To Ergonomics and Safety
Cerebral Palsy/OBGYN Resources
- Cerebral Palsy Foundation
- United Cerebral Palsy
- The Cerebral Palsy Research Network
- Tips for Parents on Safely Transporting Kids with Special Needs
- Wheelchair Transportation Safety: Frequently Asked Questions
- Keeping Children with Special Needs Safe in the Home
- CDC’s Disability and Health Resources
- Disability Compendium
- National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs
- Department of Justice’s Resources on Crime Victims with Disabilities
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service: Crime Victims with Disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance | Cerebral Palsy Causes
- Ability Magazine
Exceptional Parent – An online magazine for parents of children and young adults with disabilities, includes news forum, links, and online bookstore.
- New Mobility – An online magazine for users of wheelchairs, includes calendar of events and news forums.
- Journal of Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology – The official journal of the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (AACPDM) and the British Pediatric Neurology Association (BPNA).
Aging Care Resources
- AARP. Free information to assist with goals for retirement.
- AARP Age Discrimination Fact Sheet. Offers data to help protect against age bias in the workplace.
- Agingcare.com. Gives information regarding financial issues vital to seniors.
- American Association of Daily Money Managers. Matches financial professionals who can provide personal financial/bookkeeping services to senior citizens and the disabled.
- ElderCare.gov. Connects community services for older adults, including housing, transportation, and financial services.
- Elder Justice Initiative (DOJ). ‘The Department of Justice is committed to the issue of elder abuse and financial exploitation of older Americans. Their role in combatting these crimes is to promote justice for older Americans, help victims and their families, enhance state and local efforts through training, and support research to improve elder abuse policy and practice.’
- Money Smart for Older Adults. Provides awareness among elderly and caregivers on how to prevent elder financial exploitation and to encourage advance planning and informed financial decision-making.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Provides a directory of elder and special needs law attorneys.
- Nursing Home Abuse Guide.
- Nursing Home Compare. Presents details about the past performance of every Medicare and Medicaid certified nursing home in the country.
- Senior Housing options. Senior relocation assistance.
- SeniorLiving.Org Comprehensive guide of up to date scams that target older Americans.
- NAELA Q&A. When Looking for An Elder Law and Special Needs Planning Attorney
- NAELA Elder Law and Special Needs Law Ethics.
- The Recovery Village – Elderly Resources
- Internet Basics for Seniors